Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day USA




I can imagine people in America are surely enjoying fireworks, roman candles, cookouts, swimming, and lots of Red, White & Blue. Its my favorite holiday!
I'm not going to find the most raucous Independence Day celebration here, but Epulu is good!

One reason people really like America in Africa these days is of course because of Barack! In fact, even here in Epulu there are signs of affection for the most powerful man in the world, who has a Kenyan father. The office here has a 2009 calendar of "The Two Youngest Presidents in the World", featuring none other than Kabila and Obama. I'm not sure the claim is true, but regardless - they share relative youth at about 33 and 47 years of age.

I don't believe they've met, but the middle picture of Kabila & Obama in the White House sure does look like the picture of Kabila & George Bush meeting in the White House. Interesting!

For those of you wondering about my safety - well Epulu is very very safe. I have a small cat (un petit chat) to protect me from the rats.

Also my first security update for most of the cities in the east (Beni, Bunia, Butembo, Goma) was a resounding "It goes!" (Ca va!). The insecurity continues north of Goma to Butembo and the area around Bukavu is really terrible, as the Congolese army is chasing the Rwandan rebels. The LRA is still hiding in some parts way to my north too. These places are very far from me. Hopefully peace can return to all of these places.

I hope this message finds you well, enjoying your holiday weekend and thankful for America.

No comments: