Friday, July 3, 2009

Arrived in Epulu!

Dear Friends,

I've reached Epulu after an interesting journey which I could only
make with the help of the street-smart, experienced helpers (drivers,
market-navigators, friendly folks at WCS offices in Beni & Mambasa).
Epulu is a small village at the center of the Okapi Wildlife Reserve,
which functions as the headquarters for conservationists and park
guards, and perhaps more tourists some day!

I say the journey was interesting, because I just realized how
helpless I am. After staying in Entebbe, Uganda for two nights, then
flying to Beni, DRC and staying there for two nights, we departed from
Beni to Epulu for what ended up being an all-day affair.

First of all, with my limited French, its difficult to think of what I
want to say (which I'm not all that great at in English!).
Nevertheless, people graciously and forgivingly try to figger me out!

The drivers Jupiter and Jean-Pierre successfully navigated the
washed-out roads, which having other African roads from which to
compare (Bundibugyo) - were not horrible.

The river-crossing where a bridge is out is very interesting! We did
unfortunately run a motorcycle off the road which was carrying two
gentlemen. The rules of the road, are that the biggest gets right of
way, and they need to follow the track, even if its on the opposite
side of the road (they aren't so much like lanes).

The gentlemen were riding the opposite direction as us and tried to
move off to the side, and ran straight into the ditch. We stopped as
the shaken moto-riders brushed themselves off, and looked at their
bike in the bushes which was now facing the opposite direction. They
were fine and the bike was fine, and we avoided major confrontation.
When we arrived in Mambasa, which at 70 km from Epulu, is the closest
town with a major market and fuel. Some people approached Jean-Pierre
and and some heated discussion ensued when they tried to get the
police involved, saying someone had died because of us. It was
clearly a ridiculous attempt to gain advantage from our organization.

Further on, a goose ran into our truck and was severely injured or
killed (I couldn't see if the owner who ran after it with a machete -
needed to use it). Immediately JP stopped again as a crowd formed -
$10 appeased the owner enough it seemed.

After fueling up, we arrived in Epulu around 5 at night. It was just
in time to greet a few people and find my house (chez moi). Its a
simple house without electricity for the moment, and with an
out-kitchen, out-house, and out-bath. I was offered hot water for my
bucket bath - nice! There is wildlife literally out my back door -
red-tailed monkeys, hornbills, and birds I'll have to learn to
identify. And also inside! Something cleaned up my dirty dish and
moved a lemon peel across the room, and I won the battle with this
hellacious-looking large insect that had glowing eyes and darted after
me. I supposed we'll learn to coexist to some extent, or better yet,
that they'll learn to fear me.

So far so good - Its gonna be fun time in heart of the jungle!

--
Joel A. Masselink
+++++++++++++++++
jmasselink@gmail.com
Wildlife Conservation Society
Epulu, DR Congo

No comments: