Friday, October 2, 2009

News to warm the heart

I have a dear lady who has cooked and cleaned for me since I arrived
in Epulu three months ago. Somehow our sharing of care - her being
the first person I see every morning, she is in my house all day
while I work, she cooks what she likes, I like what she cooks, she
washes my clothes, I feel good paying her..... Because of all that,
I'm attached to her, despite our barriers in language and culture.

So when she said she needed to talk yesterday morning, I became
anxious...don't know why, but I fear when people get serious like
that! She said she needed to go to the hospital to Mambasa (big town
70km away) for 2-3 weeks. She said it had to do with "enceinte" and
asked if I knew what that meant. She then started to flip through
magazines and said she'd find a picture for when I came back for
lunch.

After the daily rains came while I was having lunch at home, she came
inside and asked me if I had found out the word...I indeed had being
curious and impatient! It means "pregnant". So she told me, acted
very shy about it, despite being married with 3 young children
already. She is leaving Monday for Mambasa - not for a checkup - but
to deliver her baby!! I've been having a pregnant woman clean for me
all this time and had no idea. Either I'm very aloof or its no big
deal for her, or both.

A benefit of my "switch-hitting" French name is that Asumpta has
decided to call her baby Joel (pronounced "jho-elle") whether its a
boy or girl! I have to say I'm just so charmed by this whole thing,
feel like I'm becoming an uncle all of a sudden! It will be
interesting to see how she works with her small baby too. I imagine
she'll insist to continue work and so there'll be a mini-me
papoose-style on her back all the time. Behold the virtue of the
African woman.

2 comments:

claire said...

oh joel this is so exciting! she/he is going to be so adorable i know.

congratulations uncle jo-elle!

Masselinks said...

Joel, Dad and I weren't sure when we chose the name Joel if its meaning would fit your circumstances in life (your gifts, experiences, blessings, and challenges). It means "God is willing", which in your case seems appropriate now. God is willing to use you in ways that only He can imagine and provide. Your care for Maman Asumpta in faraway Epulu obviously had a sweet effect on her. What a wonderful honor to have a child named for you! You'll make a great "uncle"!!!