Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Made it!

Hi...Bonjour du monde! Welp, I am in Kinshasa, and have now settled in, and started to figure out what I have to got to do to survive (and thrive?). First off, learn French! My English/high school Spanish/Sesame St. French MIX is not gonna cut it. Apparently French is rare among males, so not to be insensitive to women...but guys, if you want to meet girls, head for French class! Kinshasa first impressions....lots of people! Expensive - a box of cereal was $15 USD! I skipped it for now...too rich for my Dutch blood. Its hard to import goods here because of the poor infrastructure. There were derelict skeletons of bridges over the airport road, and the planes themselves looked kinda recycled. For accomodation, I'll be in kinda an island fortress compound, with not too much access to the streets. Its not recommended to roam by yourself, as its just so big. From what I've heard, people are feeling food prices really bad....they've historically been high, and recently spiked.

What better than to have a tropical thunderstorm the first evening...clouds made it dark by about 5pm, whipping the palm trees with wind and rain. Kin la Belle, Kin poubelle...its all here at the start!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Joel, I just came back from vacation the day before yesterday!~ It seems you are full of power there!~ I am sure you will learn French very quickly, hehe! Just last night, celtics won the series against Detroit. It was awesome!~ I am looking forward their match with Lakes! Can you see any matches there? What do you usually do during daytime?